remember choosing to be a physician when I was in the 7th grade, as
I was very interested in sciences and loved interacting and serving people, and
trying to improve their lives. I chose hand surgery because I really enjoy the
intricacies of the procedures and how amazingly engineered the hand is.
In my practice, I always try to follow the Golden Rule, imagining how I
would want to be treated. I approach my patients with empathy and try to
equip them with the knowledge about their condition so that together, we can
arrive at the best possible treatment plan.
Dr. Vagner was born in Chicago but grew up in San Antonio.
When he’s not working, he “absolutely” loves spending time with his family,
traveling together, enjoying what Austin has to offer, or just sitting around
watching TV together. Dr. Vagner also considers himself “a little bit of a wine
nerd,” and enjoys reading, books, skiing, and traveling. His favorite
local spots are the Highland Lakes, whether from the deck of a restaurant or on
a boat. He also loves downtown Austin, and the city’s great restaurants!
Professional Positions and Honors
Dr. Vagner holds these memberships and honors:
- Member, Central Texas Hand Society
- Member, American Society for Surgery of the Hand
- Member, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Member, Travis County Medical Society
- Assistant Professor of Surgery and Perioperative Care, Dell
Medical School, Austin, TX
- Hand and wrist surgery consultant, University of Texas Athletics
- Austin Top Doctor, Austin Monthly Magazine, 2014, 2021, 2022
- Distinguished Surgeon of the Year, Austin Area Association of
Perioperative Registered Nurses, 2011
Patient Health Forms (English & Español)
Request an Appointment with Gregg A. Vagner, MD